Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Thanksgiving


In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Most of us have been through something that as we were going through it, we were anything but thankful.But the scripture in I Thess. 5:18 says to be thankful in everything.  I have heard it explained that we don’t necessarily thank God for the circumstance, we just have to be thankful while we are going through it.  Like I can go through something terrible and thank God for my dog and count it good.  but as I looked up this scripture in the Blue Letter Bible the verse reads:

In each, every, any, all, the whole, everyone, all things, everything be grateful, feel thankful, give thanks for this thing is the will, choice, inclination, desire, pleasure of God in Christ Jesus into, unto, to, towards, for, among you

It is possible to give thanks in all circumstances, if we keep our focus on God.  It doesn’t matter how bad the circumstances are, we can thank God through them and in spite of them at all times.  However, to give thanks is a choice.  

Other than the fact that God commanded us to give Thanks in all circumstances, I want to share some other reasons why we should give thanks

  1. It gives honor to God  Psalm 69:30   Then I will praise God’s name with singing, and I will honor him with thanksgiving.
  2. It makes His deeds known to others Psa 105:1     O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people.
  3. It is a sacrifice Psalm 107:22  Let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving and sing joyfully about his glorious acts.

As I look back on my life, I can think of many terrible circumstances that I have faced, and looking back on them I can find many reasons to be thankful.  I think that sometimes we find it easier to give praise and thanks on the other side of the journey.  I know for me personally, my thanks goes deeper because I can look back and see God’s hand in the situation.  While giving thanks after the fact is good, how do you keep your focus on God so that you can keep an attitude of thanksgiving in the present?  

  1. Remember that you are His representative in word and action  Colossians 3:17  And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.
  2. Remember that He is there for you and you can trust Him Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.  
  3. Give thanks for the people that are involved  1 Timothy 2:1  I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them.
  4. Get your praise on  Psalm 95:2 Let us come to him with thanksgiving. Let us sing psalms of praise to him.   Psalm 100:4  Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name.

    We must be intentional with our thanksgiving,  Not just one day out of the year but in all seasons.  
    Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment