Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Rest

Matthew 11:28 Then  Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.


In our society, rest has become something that is gained in hour long massages and not a daily practice.  This has lead to increased stress and stress related illnesses.  God designed us to rest, we were made in His image and He rested on the 7th day.  

I admit that I for the past fifteen years I have not rested.  I was on call 24/7 and not just to my family.  I knew to come to God.  I could tell, as could everyone around me, if I had missed a church service and not had daily time with Him.  

 I knew I had to come to Him, because He was the only one that I could share my burdens as a child welfare worker and then as a therapist. The burdens were much to heavy for me to carry.  I knew I could bring them to Him.  I came to him frequently, and I saw the impact it made in my life and the lives of those I worked with, because when I came, I brought them to Him in prayer and often desperation.

What I didn't know was that I was weary.  Other people saw that, but I couldn't.  It took some young ladies that I ministered to to show me that.  When circumstances stopped me in my tracks and rest was the one thing that was certain, they would comment on how I didn't seem so wore out.  I was happier.  I thought my mask hid that, I was wrong.

In that time, I learned that I can give everything to God.  Not just the things I didn't think I could handle.  Anything that was a burden, He will take.  He designed me to sleep and rest, and He loves when I do it in Him instead of out of complete exhaustion.  If rest was good enough for God, I should take advantage of it too!


 Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment