Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lesson 3: Grumbling will get you no where

The third thing revealed to me as I was listening to Exodus, and the story of the Israelites leaving Egypt that correlated to the message by John Bevere in the Extraordinary series we are listening to at church is that grumbling gets you no where.

John Bevere pointed out that Moses left the finer things in life to go into the wilderness. There he had an encounter with God, and it changed him. He never complained about wanting to go back to the finer things in life. The Israelites were in slavery. Moses led them out into the wilderness to have an encounter with God, and they spent the next forty years complaining about wanting to go back.

Hearing that it reminded me of what I had heard that morning and the thoughts that came to me as I listened to Exodus. The Israelites started complaining at the first sign of trouble at the Red Sea. God stepped in to show them He is in control, and they escaped safely. The next chapter is filled with a praise song, and the very next they are grumbling again. This time for food. Again God provides. Again the Israelites grumble, needing water. Again God provides.

I immediately started thinking, how ungrateful. God delivers them, and then they immediately started complaining like He had not just worked a miracle on their behalf. And then, I was quickened to how many times I have done the exact same thing. I receive a blessing from the Lord, and then in the next moment start grumbling when something doesn't go my way.

God has brought me out of so many terrible situations. He has always provided, and yet I am ashamed to say there are times, when I forget about those miracles. I think that it would be easier to go back to previous times. When I really take the time to think about it, I know that God has delivered me and that I do not want to go back to my old life. It is just in the pressure of the trial that I think about going back. I look back to the past with rose colored glasses, just as the Israelites romanticized Egypt. Lord, help me to be more grateful for where you have saved me from and less of a grumbler when things don't go as I plan. Help me to remember that you are in control in ALL things.

I Cor. 10:10 And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment