Monday, December 1, 2014

Broken Path to Grace

Romans 5:1-2  (NKJV) Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,  through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

My kid's are not perfect.  They never have been, a
nd I am not one of those delusional parents that thinks they were.  They are almost 22, 19 and 17 , and I can honestly say "I have great kids."  Yes, they have their moments.  Yes, there is room for improvements, but overall they are great.  I remember my parents always said "Wait until you have kids, they will be just like you. Then you will know."  I was not a great teenager, and neither were my husband, nor my daughter's dad. 

What does all this have to do with grace?  I have heard grace defined in two ways 1) Unmerited favor 2) God's bestowed ability to do what His truth demands.  


Romans 5:1-2 (NLT) Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.  Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.

About a year ago or so,  I had a true revelation of God's grace.  I honestly don't know why I was overcome with the revelation.  I was driving in the car with my husband, and suddenly became very aware of God's grace.  I cried in His presence knowing that God's grace had covered my children and ultimately me as a parent.

As a sinner, I didn't deserve God's grace.  I suppose none of us do.  I am a product of a dysfunctional family.  I rebelled against my parents and walked away from God from ages 12-17, even though I knew I was His child.  I lied.  I lived an immoral life. I found out I was pregnant three days after my 16th birthday, although  in the back of my mind I knew even as I continued partying.  I am a divorcee.  I am often controlled by my selfish desire and emotions.  I am opinionated and strong-willed.  I like to be right, sometimes not taking in to account how that impacts others.

Yet, I have seen His unmerited favor in my life, even in times of trouble.  I have seen doors open, that should have remained closed.  I have seen doors closed that I really wanted open, but that would ultimately cause me more harm than good.  I have seen God's favor time and time again.  And I admit, each time I am blown away at His grace.  I am blown away that the God that created the universe, favors me.  He doesn't favor me because I am more special than others, but He favors me because He is special.  I see my children as an extension of His grace for me.

As Jackie, I can't begin to live the life His truth demands.  I fail even still, but it is because I get in the "I can do it mode" instead of remembering that "I can't.  He can.  I will let Him."  I forget to allow His grace to flow though me to do the things that He has called me to do.  I forget that I can rise above the past circumstances and live a Godly life.  

Yet, I can because His grace empowers me to do everything He has called me to do.  I  can look back on my life and know for certain that God's grace is the reason that my life is transformed.  Yes, there are areas that I still have a lot of work for Him to do, but most people would never believe the things that God has brought me through.  Never believe where God has brought me from.  But it is the broken path that I have walked, that makes me so appreciate God's grace. 

This blog is prompted from  Tuesday at Ten! The Tuesday blog Link up where you have 1 full week to use the prompt word to your liking!  Whether it be just writing a story behind the prompt word, or being as creative as you wish using photos, poems, art, or graphics – whichever creative way you choose. You have 1 week to write and link up your blog at the bottom of the page so that others can link up with you. Be sure to visit your “link up” neighbor and spread the joy of connection!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing truth, honesty and transparency. I love the revelations ... the perfect clarity of His Word He brings to us just when we need it; and how that breaks us and causes us to move in even closer. Again, amazing.
    Thank you so much.
    Blessings.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete