Friday, September 5, 2014

Whisper


This post is part of Lisa-Jo Baker‘s Five-Minute Friday, where we gather together to write for five minutes, unedited, on a given prompt for the week.  This week’s prompt was WHISPER.

Like Elijah, I often look for God to come to me in a visual sign or in a loud booming voice, but over the past few months I have really honed in on the still small whisper of His voice.  It moves me deeper in my relationship with Him.

I know that He has always been there, but I have to quiet myself enough to hear that voice.  In the past it has been long drives alone, where I have heard Him most clearly.  I think because after a while the music fades, and I am left in my thoughts, and when those have finally run out, He is able to have my undivided attention.

As I pressed in the the quiet, over the past few months, I have heard that whisper so clearly, calling me into a deeper relationship with Him.  Calling me in to steps of obedience and making the path ahead of me more visible. 

I realized it was because of the busyness in life, that I had allowed to surround me that His voice had been muffled.  Why had I needed visual signs or loud voices?  I had placed myself in the arena of life and surrounded myself with things that would block our normal conversation, distractions that kept me from focusing on His voice.  He desperately wanted my attention, and when I wouldn't slow and quiet myself He would shout above the noise, but there is nothing intimate about a shout.

Over the past few months, He has brought me back to that place of intimacy.  Now, I long for the quiet to surround me so that it is just Him and me.  He can whisper to my heart and I can receive.  What joy there is in that whisper.

I Kings 19:12  After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this glimpse into your journey! So glad to have you join us at Five Minute Friday! Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete