Friday, September 26, 2014

Because


Grammar Hammer: Because image 2012 09 because i said so 
Because i said so.... this is one of the most overused mom-isms in the world, or maybe just in my family.  When I am busy and don't feel like explaining, because is the answer.  If because is questioned, and it often is , it is expanded on with "I said so" as if this is the end all reason.
The problem with this is that I taught my kids it is okay to question.  So in trying to shorten a discussion, I have actually made it longer.
There are so many more Because that would make it shorter,
.....because the Bible says so. No argument there, except maybe where.
.....because that is how it is done. Although I can still see why coming.
.....because that's the rule in our house.  We don't have many so this one is a tight answer.
....because you have school tomorrow.  Great for weekdays

This post is part of Lisa-Jo Baker‘s Five-Minute Friday, where we gather together to write for five minutes, unedited, on a given prompt for the week.  This week’s prompt was Because

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I used to use this a lot and heard the old Ann Murray song, "because, because, because, because, good night, good night". I loved the song and all my older kids used to sing it to me, so I learned not to use that phrase! I have learned to love the questions, it is a time to let them know that we love them enough to answer and that we will listen. When you think of it that way, it is not quite as hard as it used to be. Thank you for your post today.

    ReplyDelete