Saturday, February 19, 2011

Offering

“A son honors his father, And a servant his master. If then I am the Father, Where is My honor? And if I am a Master, Where is My reverence? Says the Lord of hosts To you priests who despise My name.

Yet you say, ‘In what way have we despised Your name?’

“You offer defiled food on My altar, But say, ‘In what way have we defiled You?’
By saying, ‘The table of the Lord is contemptible.’ And when you offer the blind as a sacrifice, Is it not evil? And when you offer the lame and sick, Is it not evil? Offer it then to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you favorably?” Says the Lord of hosts. MALACHI 1:6-8


As I read this I thought about the offering we give to God, not just through our finances but in words, actions, and through our lives. I believe that most Christians would give the very best they have to offer if Christ knocked on the door of their home.

I have dined in the presence of congress men and women, and well to do business people with finances. I have seen that when people know who they are, their words, actions, and the level of service step up. I can only imagine how much more honor would be bestowed upon our Lord if He was physically here.

And yet, what kind of offering are we giving Him? I mean, He is here, we are the temple of our Lord. He doesn't have to knock, He is already here. We should be giving Him honor all the time. Every moment should be lived as if we were in the presence of royalty - because we are. He promised, "I will never leave you or forsake you." He is here us now.

If this message from Malachi came to us today, would we receive the same message? Would He ask "Where is the reverence?". Would He say "You have defiled my name?". Would He consider what we offer as evil because we don't give Him our very best?

Lord, help us offer our lives, with every action and every word bringing glory and honor to You.