Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Light

I have been reading a book by Christine Caine called Stop Acting Like a Christian and Just Be One. In one of the Chapters "Into All the World" she tells about her young daughter's fascination with flashlights. The little one would take the flashlight all around the house all day long while it was daylight running down the batteries. She draws a correlation to the church body and how we are to be the light of the world.

As I thought about her message, I saw a different picture. Just as her daughter liked to shine the light where things were already lit – we Christians spend so much of our time wasting our energy (The battery) where there is already light. We confine our ministry to the church instead of taking it out into the darkness of the world around us.

Don't get me wrong, there are needs within the church body that allow our light to be shown, and most of the time we spend all our time and all our energy shining the light around our church body. We are thinking that our light is so bright, but when it comes to the world around us we don't have the energy to minister.

We should just open the door and shine it outside and truly illuminate the world around us. We need to bring in the world around us, into the light and out of the darkness.

I want to be a light in the darkness. I want my light to shine at church. I want my light to shine within my family. I want my light to shine in world around me. I want to draw others into the light. Not to glorify myself, but to glorify God.

No comments:

Post a Comment