Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Same Power

We have started singing a song at church, I think it is by Hillsong, but can't swear to it - but there is a line of it that spoke to me about something that I believe God has been trying to show His church. The line says "The same power that conquered the grave lives in me."

As I was standing there singing those words, it really dawned on me what that meant. It reminded me of a scripture I read with the kids just a few days before found in John.. 14:12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

We walk in defeat not because we have to, but because we, the Church, have allowed satan to convince us that we are powerless. We have taken on the titles of this world to define who we are - I am a mother, a sister, a wife, a worker, I have ADD, I have SAD, I am.... just fill in the blank. Yet, we get our worth from our creator. Joel Osteen gives the example, if I "make" a $100 bill it is not worth anything because I have no authority or power to print it. A true $100 bill is given its worth from the treasury of the US as its creator - the Treasury has the authority and the power to print it.

My worth is found in God - He alone can say who I am, what I am worth, and give me power and authority.Well, Jesus said that if I believe in Him, I will do greater things than Him because He was going to the Father. Well Jesus had authority. He had power. He raised the dead and he rose from the dead. He gave sight to the blind, made the dumb talk, the deaf hear, and the lame walk. I am not sure what greater things there could be.

But even just looking at what Jesus did, - when was the last time that as a believer, I have done any of these things (Not through my own power, but the power of Christ that lives in me)? Only speaking for myself - NEVER!

And yet, the same power that conquered the grave lives in me! It is at my disposal because Christ gave me the power and authority to use it because I believe in Him. That is such a powerful statement that it overwhelms me even as I say it. Yet I know it is true because the Bible tells me so. It made me realize that I have the power, I just have to be willing to step out in faith, put Satan under my feet and use it for God’s glory and honor.

And maybe like the disciples, in Matthew 17, my faith will not be as big as the God I serve, but if I don’t take that step of faith, and claim that same power, then some day the grave will be full of people not reached because I, we, the Church, didn’t step out in faith and use the power that Christ died and gave us.

No comments:

Post a Comment