Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Hope of But...


Genesis 6:5-7 The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.  And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.  So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.”

 

Maybe it is the version I was reading, but I had forgotten how upset God was with His creation before the flood.  The word regretted just struck me.  The NKJV says he was sorry that he made man.  As I was focused on the regret of God, I then saw the hope in verse 8.



Genesis 6:8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.



God loves His creation so much, that for one He altered His plan to destroy the world.  How many things have been diverted because of the but.  I think about the messages of the prophets, like Jonah to Nineveh or how Abraham pled for Sodom if there were just ten righteous.  I think of Joseph to Egypt and Moses to Israel and Paul to the Gentiles. 



How many things happened, or didn't happen because of the ONE.  It is so easy to discount the actions of one.  Especially if you are the one.  Noah didn't have to build a boat.  Jonah tried to run from saving the people in Nineveh.  Joseph didn't have to interpret the dream.  Moses didn't have to go fight the battle against Pharaoh.  Paul didn't have to break the code he lived by and minister to the Gentile.  But each one did.  They did despite the personal cost, the ridicule, the questions they might have asked.


Genesis 6 shows that there is hope in the action of one.  What if you are the ONE? 



No comments:

Post a Comment