Saturday, March 19, 2011

This is the stuff

There is a song by Francesca Barristelli that has become one of my favorite songs. It's called "This is the Stuff" and talks about how God uses the little frustrations in our life to help grow us spiritually and emotionally. I usually have a song on my lips, but this one I sing when I am starting

I can never remember all the words so I repeat the parts I know over, and over, and over again. I am sure it annoys those around me, but it is hard to let those negative feelings in when you are singing "This is the stuff that drives me crazy, This is the stuff that's getting to me lately, in the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed...."

Friday I was feeling pretty negative about the circumstances going on around me. I should have been able to sleep in, but a bill collector for someone else called me. Then as I worked out with the Kinect, it didn't want to register me doing the exercises. Then I got in the shower, the water was cold.

As I stood in the shower singing these words over and over again, until I meant what I was signing, with the cold water pouring down on me I realized how all these little things that were getting to me were just little blessings in disguise.

When the bill collector called, it really woke me up, so my day got started a little earlier. On the plus side, the lady calling had a job that would meet her needs, and maybe that of her family. If the other person wasn't behind, the bill collector might not have a job. It also means that someone counted me a reliable enough to list as a reference.

In addition, I still slept in more than most days. I am blessed to not be able to sleep in because it means that I have children I have to get off to school and a job to go to, when so many people pray for kids and need a job.

The Kinect not registering reminded me that we are blessed to have one. And I am healthy enough to be able to exercise. Plus I got extra workout which I know I need! God was just helping me move a little closer to a healthy lifestyle.

And then, my cold shower blessing. First off, as I felt my frustration growing I started turning my attention to God which is never a bad thing! I thanked him that I have children who were home from school and that obviously one of them was concerned about hygiene whether it was for taking a shower, cleaning their clothes, or doing dishes. They were at home instead of running around the streets. Then I started thanking him for the lady with job who woke me up, to bless the person with outstanding debt. I thanked him for my job and meeting my needs. I thanked him for the extras like the Kinect and for my health.

I got out of the cold shower feeling refreshed and blessed. It was really good to know I was not going to go start gripping about all the things going wrong in my day - not to say I didn't give my daughter a hard time since she was eating breakfast when I told her I was getting in the shower. It was just more of a tease than my normal griping.

Now I can't promise that later today, or tomorrow, or next week I won't be singing this song again to remind me that there is a blessing in every problem - whether its the lesson that God is trying to teach me through the frustration, if He is trying to grow me spiritually, or just that there really is something good about the thing that is getting too me. But it sure beats getting cranky and taking it out on those around me. Thank you God for the stuff that drives me crazy!

If you have never heard the song, or are just feeling frustrated - click on the hyperlink above and it will take you to Francesca Barristelli's website and her song!

No comments:

Post a Comment