Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sin is dead

For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. II Corintians 5:21

I have known that Jesus paid the price for my sin since I was eight years old and became a Christian. More recently I have been hearing that Jesus became our sin. My pastor has a great way of explaining this through scriptures, but I have never really let it sink in what that means.

As I read that verse tonight, I saw something. Jesus became our sin on the cross before He died. That is why He cried out "Father, why have you forsaken me?". He knew God hated sin. My sin, our sin - died there on that cross.

Daily I deal with people who have life controlling sin, they are blind to the great price that has been paid to free them from the bondage of that sin. But the Christian should not be controlled by sin. If I am a Christian, if I believe the Bible, and if I have asked for forgiveness - sin is dead. It has no hold on me. Jesus already took it to the grave. It was destroyed that day on Calvary. I was freed that day on the cross when he became my sin and overcame death and the grave. He overcame any power sin could have on me. He came to set the captives free. What can be more captivating than sin. Sin can only have the power we give because Jesus destroyed our sin there on the cross. It is dead. Christ lives in me and I should not take for granted what He did for me by continuing to live in sin. I must walk in His righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment