Saturday, August 25, 2012

Has given...

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,  as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 2 Peter 1:2-3

Tonight, the word HAS stuck out as I read this scripture. Has given is a present perfect verb tense indicating that God gave it in the past and we still currently possess what was given. So if God has given us things, why do we not have them?  We must grow in our knowledge of Christ.  As we grow in our knowledge of God, we are able to understand all the gifts that he has already given us and can use those gifts to further His kingdom.

So what has God given to those who follow and obey Him, according to New Testament scriptures: 
  •  He has given us eternal life
    •  I John 5:11
  • He has given the Holy Spirit 
    •  Acts 5:32, I John 3:24, I John 4:13 
  • He has given assurance that there will be a judgement day
    •   Acts 17:31
  • He has given us the spirit of reconciliation  (to reconcile others to Him and the Body)
    •  II Cor. 5:18
  • He has given us authority to edify (instruct and lift up)
    • II Cor. 13:10  
  • He has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness (conforming to the laws and wishes of God)
    •  II Peter 1:3
  • He has given us an understanding that we would know Him 
    • I John 5:20
Having read these scriptures I am now aware of what God has given to me.  I must accept as fact what God has given me in order to walk in what I already possess.  I must not take for granted what Christ died for me to have.
  • I have eternal life, Christ died that I would have it.  
  • I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me, Christ ascended to Heaven so He might come and dwell on the inside of believers. 
  •  I have assurance that one day I will give account for my actions,  Christ was raised from the dead.  
  • I have the ability to reconcile others to Christ and each other,  God reconciled me to Him through Christ Jesus.
  • I have the ability to edify others and not tear other down,  Christ does not want His body destroyed. 
  • I have life and godliness, God and was called by his glory and virtue.
  • I have understanding, it continues to grow as I learn more of God and truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment